My name is Diana Martin and I am a not so secret agent for the Lord in beautiful Maceio, Brazil. I am serving as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for 18 months.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Made it to Brazil!



Diana was all set to go to Saint George, Utah on Wednesday May 15th.  On Tuesday, she was called in to the travel office at the MTC and told that her visa had come through!  She was one of only 4 out of her district of 100 missionaries to get her visa.  She traveled alone to Brazil and arrived safely on May 16th.  Her Dad and I got to speak to her for 45 minutes each while she was at the airport.  It was a wonderful phone call and she sounded so happy and upbeat!



I am in Brazil. If I ever forget that I just try to say something and then realize I can´t haha. Basically I have a constant "that´s not the language they taught me in the MTC" moment. I don´t understand anyone unless they speak so incredibly slow and only say three words and even then it is iffy. When ever I speak people look at me and smile and nod encouragingly. I like it and it makes me giggle. 

This week has been crazy from packing for St. George and then finding out that I´m going to Brazil and then traveling for 30 hours by myself and not knowing what to do to meeting my mission president (he is awesome!) to teaching Brazilians to baptism. 

Oh yeah Baptism. Jackson was baptized on Saturday! Of course I didn´t do much in the process but it was still awesome. I had no idea that baptisms were so common here. My mom and trainer, Sister Moraes has been on the mission for 6 months and has helped baptize 25 people. I was blown away but it happens. Since I can´t understand, I have´t done much conversing with investigators. Mostly just bearing my testimony which is awesome but short. Yesterday I actually got to help teach a new investigator named Marcelo. It was incredible and after one lesson he said he would be baptized.

I am in the actual city of Maceio. It is full of color, people, and bad smells. I love it. We are packed in pretty tight but our area is pretty big. It is called Pajuçara. The ward is decent sized but very different. Life here is different and amazing. The food is great. We get fed by members for lunch every day and it is always a lot of food.

I am very fortunate as well. Our apartment has air conditioning in the room we sleep in. Apparently it is the only one in the mission. It is amazing. I am good and well despite the fact that I look diseased because I am red and splotchy from bug bites. The missionaries here have a lot of loyalty for their mission. Maceio is the best mission in the world and we even have our own song. It is cool.

So basically, things are hard. It is difficult but that is ok because Heavenly Father put me here and He helps me through it. It is ok because seeing someone hear about the gospel and change their lives and influence the lives around them brings so much joy that the rest doesn´t matter. When I put my trust in the Lord, things aren´t easier necessarily, but I am so much more capable to handle life and be joyful. 

I love you all and hope all is well. 
Diana

People can´t pronounce my name. It is funny. Sister mar.... are you latina? haha

No comments:

Post a Comment