My name is Diana Martin and I am a not so secret agent for the Lord in beautiful Maceio, Brazil. I am serving as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for 18 months.

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

First email!

We have been waiting anxiously to hear from Diana.  A week is a long time to wait!  We knew that she would be fine, and would be busy taking classes but it was so nice to get that email.

Here it is:


It has been one crazy week! And it started the moment I got out of the car at the MTC. There was an army of people waiting for me. One person took my bag and told me where to go and then someone else got me and took me to my class and all the while 3,000 other missionaries are all welcoming you in their mission language so you don't understand any of it. It´s great! We had a meeting with all the new missionaries and we sang Army of Helaman and changed the words to "we are the Lord´s missionaries". I was in the very front and there were hundreds of people behind me singing this song and the Spirit was so strong it blew me away.
I´m living in a room with five other sisters, all Portuguese speaking, but we only have four closets and four desks. We make it work but we had an interesting time trying to unpack.
My companion´s name is Sister Smith and we actually met on facebook before we got here! She is from Seattle and we get along pretty well which is good since we spend all of our time together. It is only hard because it is not just up to me to decide when I go where but we have to do it together.
My district is made up of four sisters and eight Elders. Half of us are headed to Maceio and the others are going to Port Alegre. We all were reassigned to come here to the Provo MTC. I had no idea that there were literally HUNDREDS of people waiting for visas. I know now that I most likely will spend all my MTC time here and will be reassigned temporarily to a stateside mission after the 6 weeks. That just means that the Lord needs me to serve in two different places.
So, learning how to speak in Portuguese. Not easy. If I could focus solely on the Spiritual side of things it would be great. I feel happy all the time...until I get stuck on Portuguese. But I am progressing. Even if it is slow going. I can pray and bear my testimony in Portuguese and that's about it. Sister Smith and I have taught our investigator Dora two twenty minute lessons already in Portuguese but we were allowed to use notes. The first lesson went all right but last night we gave our second and it was AMAZING. The spirit in that room was astounding. She asked questions and some how we were able to answer them without any notes. As a missionary, I have been able to feel the Spirit more than ever and stronger than ever. The Holy Ghost truly is my constant companion.
Conference was amazing! It is all about the missionary work!

Today it snowed. Oh goodness! Not good! It's ok though. My jacket aka cardigan kept me nice and warm. Sort of.

I love you all!!

Sister Martin





No comments:

Post a Comment