My name is Diana Martin and I am a not so secret agent for the Lord in beautiful Maceio, Brazil. I am serving as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for 18 months.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Emotions

Oh wonderful Family,

Yes. It rains a lot. But apparently it is only during a three month span. Yesterday, it started pouring on our way to church. I had just read the talk from General Conference about the optimistic roommate and so I started singing "Oh What a Beautiful Morning!" and laughed at myself because there was no one else that could understand why that song was funny. Laughing is important (see Come What May by ...Elder Wirthlin?).

If I don´t speak people think I am from Southern Brazil. There are a lot more white people in southern Brazil. Here it is pretty rare to see a white woman. White middle aged men is a little more common. 

My normal day. Each day is very different. Sometimes we have so many lessons that we practically run to each one and other days each appointment caiou - "falls", I don´t remember the proper English term for this. I will tell you a story about my week that demonstrates my normal day. One day when we didn´t have many appointments we batei portas (knock doors?) and we have only had to do this twice so it was pretty rare. The fourth door we found a 13 year old girl and we taught the first lesson. Two weeks later we are still teaching her and we met four girls on the same street who are all cousins and friends with the first girl Carina. We find people through other people. You kind of just stumble upon them. It is so sad however when they decide not to continue taking lessons. It is devastating. Because you love them and you know God loves them but they always have the choice. 

For the English class I just had basic conversations with the people that are a little more advanced. It went well And I liked it a lot. I was so tempted to teach them y'all but I wasn´t the main teacher so  I didn´t. 

Oh the food. Seriously, amazing. The other day a member fed us the best potatoes I have ever tasted. Ever. They also always have really good juices and dolces. In casa nos cook eggs (yes I like eggs now) and bread! Always fresh. More rice. A lot of fruit. Last week I had a burger!

I can send pictures. It is hard timewise but next week I promise to send some pictures. 

Emma, I am sorry about the scratch on your face and hope it heals. Alyssa, I am proud of you for reading Pride and Prejudice! Stick with it girl! Garrett, how tall are you? 

I have officially been in Brazil for a month. This place feels like I have always been here (until I remember something like Oklahoma the musical and can´t describe it to my companion.) It is hard but I love ever minute of it. The sprirt makes all the difference in a lesson. Thursday we taught two first lessons back to back to two girls that are friends and around the same age. The first lesson was a struggle and there were a lot of distractions (Matilda was on) and it was very difficult to focus. The spirit was not there. She did not accept batismal marcada. The second lesson just ten minutes later was very different. Less distractions. More focus. The Spirit was there. She practically jumped at the chance to be baptized. After the lesson, Sister Moraes commented on how my Portuguese was amazing during the lesson - all because of the Spirit. 

I love you very much and hope that each day you feel the Spirit in your lives.  President Monson said that missions were family affairs and I hope your side is going well! 
Love,
Sister Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment