My name is Diana Martin and I am a not so secret agent for the Lord in beautiful Maceio, Brazil. I am serving as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for 18 months.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Support

Dear loving family,

Playing the piano was just about the scariest thing I have ever done. But I did it and the ward chorister was excited. I messed up a lot and the G key doesn´t work which makes it a little difficult and I felt good about it afterward. Until one of the young men got up and played after the meeting. He was great! But he refuses to play in sacrament meeting.

Thursday night I performed another sort of duty to support the ward. Actually another ward. There are two wards that meet in our building. The other ward was having a talent show. Do you know the cup song? Anyway Sister Moraes and I and two girls from our ward performed it (with the Presidents permission of course). It was really fun and embarrassing. It was great. The show started with practically no one here but by half way through more people were there than normally go to church it was crazy and so much fun. I think the members really enjoyed it and there were several investigators there as well. The Elders in the other ward were pleased.

Oh! This Thursday I get to help teach English! The Elders have an English class and want my help. I am so excited because a lot of people here want to learn and I actually know how to speak it! Sort of. The other day a recent convert wanted to hear me pray in English. So I did. It was my first time to pray out loud in English in two months. It was surprisingly difficult. 

Funny story for the week:
In the MTC, we were told that people were going to flirt with us and hit on us but to just try to ignore it or walk away. I was in the church building and people from the other ward were there as well. We are getting ready to leave when a guy from the other ward starts talking to me. Usually I can understand what people say or get the gist at least but sometimes I still don´t understand a word. This time I had no idea what he was saying so I just nodded and smiled and my companion pulled me away. Once outside, She started laughing really hard and explained to me that he was hitting on me. Oops. It is pretty funny and embarrassing as well. But I am rare here. I think I have seen one other white person. But I am not white now and yes I do have some crazy tan lines. My favorite is actually my watch tan line.

People here live in "houses" They are actually really hard to describe but basically long thin open spaces. There are no spaces in between houses and each house usually has quite a few people in it. It is very difficult to try to guess familial relations because everyone lives together! It is crowded but people are generally happy and love living together. The city is huge and our area is more of the outskirts and residential area. We have beach! I caught a glimpse again this week and it made me happy. I have no idea what the temperature is here but it isn´t too bad. The other day it was really windy and almost cold. It felt really good.

I hope I answered all your questions. If not, sorry. Ask again because I get confused.

This week with investigators was incredible. I don´t know if it is because I can understand more or if I am less focused on trying to understand but this week I could just feel God´s overwhelming love for each and everyone of his children. Members and investigators and people that don´t want to hear what we have to say. I love the people here for myself and I can feel God´s love for them too and it is amazing. I just want them all to be happy and to not have any problems which of course is not possible. But I can hope right?

I love you all and am so excited for you. Oh and Happy Fathers day!

Love,
Sister Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment