My name is Diana Martin and I am a not so secret agent for the Lord in beautiful Maceio, Brazil. I am serving as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for 18 months.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

The Brazilian Life and Mom Was Right

Dear wonderful Family,

The work is going. We are working with several individuals that are on their way to conversion and they are simply amazing. We are putting a lot of time into working with recent converts and less actuve members. In the last three months in this ward there have been 10 convert baptisms and yesterday only one was at church. Larissa is so strong and her strength is impressive. After church we went around visiting those that didn´t go and leaving them with messages and encouragement. We are teaching a lot of people that are all in different stages of life. It is incredible to see no matter what a person´s age is or what they are going through at this moment - they all can find peace in the evangelho. 

Oh, guess who is now the ward pianist? That´s right. This missionary. I hope you get a good laugh about this. Because when I am not scared I think it is very funny. During my childhood Mom would say "you should practice because one day at church they will need someone to play the piano and you will be it". Well that day has come. It is hard because they do not have music in the schools here so no one can read music or sing really. Hymns are an interesting experience. I giggle. 

We  each have a debit card (Bank of America - isn´t that funny) and we get more money on it twice a month. We don´t have to pay for our rent - the president takes care of that - I think. 

Dad you asked if I can believe I have already been out for two months and sometimes I feel like it has only been a couple of weeks and other times it is hard to even remember that there was life before the mission. This is life. 

The language is coming. Slowly but surely. Each week I understand a little more. Some days it is almost easy to speak in Portuguese and other times it is pretty difficult but when it matters I can speak about the gospel with Heavenly Father´s help. No dreams in Portuguese yet!  Puxa vida. 

Oh interesting fact. Brazilians here - or at least my companion- put ketchup and mayonnaise on EVERY thing. Like Pizza and grilled meat and steak. But every time someone finds out that I am from America they ask three questions 1. do you like it here? 2- do you like the food? 3. Does everyone in America eat burgers for lunch each day. Food is normally on the brain. 

As President Ucthdorf says always remeber "You are important. You are loved. You are NEEDED" no matter if you are a missionary a business man, a mom, or a kid, you can do a great work. You can look around you and see those that need your help and you can offer service. You are important. 
(this made me think of the Help - You is smart, you is kind, you is important. It is true).

I love you all and thank you for your prayers
Sister Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment