My name is Diana Martin and I am a not so secret agent for the Lord in beautiful Maceio, Brazil. I am serving as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for 18 months.

Sunday, September 29, 2013

And they went forth in fasting and prayer

Hello busy and wonderful Family,

Sometimes it is hard to believe how much y'all do in one semana. Your week sounded crazy but amazing and full of happiness.

My week started out interesting. Last Monday we went to Jatiuca and had lunch with the sisters there (it is a short walk and they are in our district). Well, when we got there they said they saw a rato (aka a mouse) in their house. Shudder. After we ate the mouse darted across the kitchen and hid under the trashcan. So naturally I stood on top of a chair filming with my companion and Sister Barra tried to kill it with a broom and a squigee. In the end they were successful but the video is really funny. There is a lot of dramatic screaming and me laughing in the background because I am safe on a chair. I will try to get the photos. Really I wish you could have been there. Very funny. 

On Thursday we had lunch assigned with a member but he switched days with another member who works at Hiper, the Brazilian Walmart. We arrived there and she was in a meeting. After an hour she came out and gave us 20 reais and said to go to a place near by. So we went there and begin getting our food (it was self-service) and there was a worker at the end of the line. When I get there she asks me if I speak English. She spoke in English. I was shocked into replying yes. My amazing increased as she said that she was American and could tell I was too (before I even said anything). The truly amazing part happened when I asked where she is from "South Boston" again a shocked reply from me of Me too! "Well actually I am from and hour south of Boston. Raynham" I was floored. I then tried to talk about the church in English and failed completely. but I got her number and went my way to eat in astonishment. I met someone in a relatively small city in Brazil that is from a town ten minutes away from my home. Crazy right? I also learned why I was called to a foreign speaking mission. English is hard. 

Well, though we had good experiences this week, this week was hard. A little harder then most. We are struggling to find new investigators. We are working with members, less actives, recent converts, and we are "batei portas"ing.(knocking on doors) And we still only had 1 new investigator. So we fasted. We started Saturday and worked. Sunday we went to houses to walk with people to church. They weren´t there. So we went onward to church, maybe a little discouraged (four weeks in a row without an investigator at church is unheard of and hard to accept). But then the miracle started. As we were walking to the chapel I saw someone walk past us that looked familiar but couldn´t place her. We sat down for Relief Society and in came the same girl with a member. 5 minutes later another member walked in with an investigator that lives really far from us. 5 minutes after that a woman walked in. She had a desire to learn more about the church and came alone. After Relief Society we had Dunday school and saw a recent convert that had brought a friend to church. I was overwhelmed. Prayer and fasting together really are powerful and our Heavenly Father answers prayers. 

I know y'all are busy and life is crazy but I want you to know that where ever you are and whatever you are feeling, Heavenly Father knows you. He knows where you are and hears your prayers. He is reaching out to us and wanting to help us. When we reach out to Him, we receive great blessings. Sometimes they are hard to recognize or come later then we want. But they do come. Always. 

I love you and I am so grateful for your love and support. 
Com um grande amor,
Sister Martin


No comments:

Post a Comment