My name is Diana Martin and I am a not so secret agent for the Lord in beautiful Maceio, Brazil. I am serving as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for 18 months.

Monday, January 13, 2014

Oshi!

Dear wonderful family,

This transfer brought many changes. I am now in Antares which is more in the middle of the city of Maceió and is VERY different from Village 2 which was all mud and sand and shacks. Now it is all apartments and asphalt and busy streets and very few casas (the houses that are here are VERY big). The area is huge and until this week only had one dupla (companionship) here. The area was split but very few missionaries have worked in the area that I am in so we are starting over from zero. It is pretty interesting but difficult as well because the same things I did in my other area won't work here. But everyone says this ward is awesome. This past weekend was stake conference (a transmission from Utah but still in Portuguese) so I still don´t know many people are in my ward but I have help because I am now living in 6! I am living with Sister Moraes again! I like that because she is awesome. But it is a little hard because our apartment is meant for 4. There are only 4 places for clothes and 4 desks for studying. In a week or two we will be moving into a new apartment so for now we are just living out of our suitcases and making the best of it. The clothes part isn't too bad what I miss more is a good study space. That is more important.

 I am also training again. My companions name is Sister Chilson. She is from New York, turned 19 two months ago and graduated high school this past May. I thought I would train again as only two Americans were coming and 6 brasileiras I thought I would be training a brasilian. SHOCK. Portuguese is a hard language and it is a bit rough for Sister Chilson right now but I remember how hard it was and try to help. But at the same time I don´t want to speak a lot of English (or any really) with her because that won´t help her learn Portuguese.
The big change is that I am a grandma! Yup minha menina (Sister Barratt) is training as well! She is as nervous as can be about training but I know she will do really well and when I left Village 2 there was a lot of good things happening there.
Also funny story, we were in a van being taken to our new areas when the other new American Sister tapped my shoulder, said I looked familiar, and asked if I had a blog. I said I did and that my mom was doing it for me while I was on the mission. She then went on to talk about something I had said in a letter from my first weeks in Maceio.
Do you think yall could skype wiith me 5:30 my time on Christmas day? Is that good for everyone?
Christmas Traditions. Here people celebrate Christmas the 24th at midnight. They eat a huge feast and open presents (but presents aren't the main thing. A lot of people don´t even give them). Tomorrow is the mission´s Christmas Conference. The only time when the whole mission will be together. I am excited!
Love you all and I am excited about skyping you all!
Sister Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment