My name is Diana Martin and I am a not so secret agent for the Lord in beautiful Maceio, Brazil. I am serving as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for 18 months.

Monday, February 24, 2014

More walking

Dear family,

Yes, we walk a lot but then people feed us so much that I wouldn´t say that I am in the best shape I have ever been. But I can walk for hours on end with a Book of Mormon and a water bottle better then I could before the mission. But generally I wear the same pair of shoes always. They are cmy (comfy?) and good for all the mud (it has been raining off and on this whole week). Haha but gaining weight is still an issue.

It is poorer in that there is grota. Oh gruta. The houses are smaller with just a concrete floor and closer together. There are a lot of interesting smells but they don´t bother me like they did at the beginning.

I do get comments about my Portuguese. People say that I speak well. Obviously I still have an accent but not one that shouts American. They just look at my eyes to know that I am American. (or German).

No one watches the Olympics here. As the Cupo do mundo is coming up everyone is watching the preliminaries and the qualifiers and so it is more about futbol than the Olympics which makes me sad. I LOVE the winter olympics. I think people here just can´t relate to snow. 

What is a baptismal challenge? Is that just a baptismal date? If so than yes. We should have a few baptisms yet this transfer!

This week was pretty good. We didn´t have really high numbers or anything but the lessons we did teach were more meaningful. This week we have been working a lot with Maria José. We knocked on her door and found out that she is a good friend to some members in our ward that just had never invited her to church because she is a stong member of another church. She invited us in and is the sweetest person. She has taken us under her wing. (She thinks we are lost foreigners who need M&Ms). We have taught about the Restoration and the Book of Mormon and the Plan of Salvation. And she just takes it all in and prays and feels good and it is amazing! The only sad part is that Sunday morning something happened in her family and she was unable to go to church. But next week for certain!

This week a girl in the ward was baptized by her dad. We helped out at the baptism. It was incredibly sweet. When converts are baptized they don´t receive the gift of the Holy Ghost until the next Sunday during Sacrament meeting. But she received just after her baptism and for some reason I got goose bumps. It just hit me how important. How essential the Spirit is in our lives. That he is our comforter. He shows us the way. Through him we can feel the love that our Heavenly Father has for us. An overwhelming love. I can´t imagine my life or this work without the help of the Spirit. I am so grateful for having been baptized and received the Holy Ghost. Dad thank you so much for being a worthy priesthood holder and that you were able to perform that ordinance for me and for so many more people.

I love you all! Have A great week and a happy Valentines Day!
Sister MArtin



PS Crazy about all the snow storms lá no Sul.

PPS I know the imagine Dragons! there are new two films? I am confused

No comments:

Post a Comment