My name is Diana Martin and I am a not so secret agent for the Lord in beautiful Maceio, Brazil. I am serving as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for 18 months.

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Craziness

November 4


Dear wonderful and loving Family,
This computer is a little less than working so I have to write fast before it shuts down again.
This week was crazy with transfers (I am now the oldest in the house mission wise by four months. I feel old. Age wise so one year). We have a new sister from Peru. We also had a lot of rain, celebrating Halloween (snickers and m&ms were the only American candy we could find), and working hard despite the fact that Sister Barratt got sick. We had record number of lessons and batismal marcadas with week but the hard part is keeping people interested. People here are very open. For instance, we knocked at one house, she let us in, we talked and taught and she was so nice and gave us these hand made crafts (see photo) but that was it. The openness of the people here never ceases to amaze me. They are so kind and so willing to let people into their house that I can´t really get angry or frustrated if they don´t want to change or learn more. Especially in the rain. People go out of their way to help other people when the streets are filled with rushing water. It is inspiring to watch.
But miracles do happen. Prayers and fasting do work. This week Tiago was our miracle. He had already gone to church a couple of times with a menos (less) active member and when we tried to teach him in the past at the house of the MA it never worked out. This week he went to church alone and we decided to try again and this time to talk with him in his house. After church he was talking to the Bishop and mentioned that he wants to be baptized. Miracle 1. He told us where he lives in relation to the MA and I thought I knew where he lives. Later we were walking to find another person two hours before when we marked with Tiago. He came out of a house and said this is where he lived. A good 10 minutes away from where I thought he lived Miracle 2. We were able to return to his house and talk with him and his mom, who likes us and is happy for her son even if she is Catholic and he wants to be baptized in another church. Miracle 3.
I love you all and I love hearing from you and I am so happy that all are healthy and well.
Com carinho e amor,
Sister Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment