My name is Diana Martin and I am a not so secret agent for the Lord in beautiful Maceio, Brazil. I am serving as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for 18 months.

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Flashback

Dear Family,

I also don´t believe that I am turning 22 this week. It doesn´t seem possible. Didn´t I turn 21 last week? Time flies!

We aren´t allowed to watch the world cup at all. So during Brasil games we are to return home and stay there until the fireworks start or when we think it is safe. For instance if Brasil and Germany continue and they play against each other. I think I will stay inside for a while. But we still get to work a lot! the problem is that the month of June has a lot of holidays as well.

So my new companion. You will never guess who it is. Sister Smith, aka my first companion from the MTC. It was so funny because it was so easy to transition into the new companionship. Usually it takes a week or so to get really accustomed to how the other teaches and their personality and everything but this time is was pretty easy. The funny part was remembering how hard it was to teach our "investigators" in the MTC 15 months ago and how normal it is now. We can see big changes in one another! We also have a new house mate. So now it is three Americans and one Brasilian. The ward didn´t believe it (I was the first American sister in this area in a year and a half and now there are three)

After last Sunday´s adventure to São Cristóvão, Miracles are beginning to come forth! We only go about two times per week and since this week was transfers we didn´t have the chance to go until Friday. And it was amazing; We went from lesson to lesson teaching with members and teaching references from members. People that were really looking for something in their lives. it was perfect. We are trying to do our best there to help the ward in its goal to open up a branch there soon!

Sunday during Sacrament meeting Bishop got up to make the announcements. He then said that I was invited to come and sit up and the stand and that all those giving a talk should always sit up on the stand. I, confused as I gave a talk last week, slowly got up and walked to the front to sit. I turned to Bishop and asked what topic I should talk about. The first counselor then looked at me and asked when was the last time I had talked. I said last week. Bishop looked embarrassed and said I could return to my seat. I was silently laughing as I returned to my seat and the bishop got up again and said that I had been called to see if I was will and ready to give a talk in whatever moment. I had passed the test and then lectured the members to be the same. In reality he had just forgotten that I talked last week.

Tomorrow we will see our new presidente. We called him last night to say welcome and everything but it was very odd. Presidente Gonzaga prepared us to accept whatever change the new presidente made without complaining. Then last night we got a call saying that the meeting was moved to 8 o'clock am.  Meaning we would need to leave 6:30. His first change. The first thing we all did was cry out because of the injustice of it all. Welp. I think we need to learn to accept the changes better.... But I am excited to see what will happen!

Love you all and hope you have a great 4th of July!

Sister Martin


One of the seven big Catholic churches in São Cristóvão


I think I found the biggest World Cup fan . . .
and so I gave him a Book of Mormon

No comments:

Post a Comment